AP, or ability points, is an important mechanic in Marvel Puzzle Quest.
The majority of heroes' abilities are activated based on this number, and are set into cours. For example, Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)'s Yellow power costs 5 AP to activate.
AP is earned by matching tiles in that colour, or on a row matched by 4 tiles in a row.
A number of abilities can also collect AP.
- Hawkeye (Clint Barton)'s "Can't Seem to Miss" passive gains Red AP when friendly Countdown tiles reach zero..
- Blade (Modern) - "The Thirst" becomes "Bloodlust" at 9 Red AP.
*Blade (Modern) - "Tools of the Trade" jeals himself with 7 or more Red Ap.
- supernatural sense creates 2 red tiles at 7 Red AP.
- Hawkeye (Clint Barton)'s "Can't Seem to Miss" passive gains Blue AP when friendly Countdown tiles reach zero.
- Silver Surfer (Skyrider)'s Black Hole special power creates AP in destroyed tiles.
- Star-Lord (Awesome Mix Volume 2)'s "Something Bad" power steals 4 Random AP if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles to steal.
- Call the Cavalry: At Level 4, gain 2 random AP when a countdown reaches 0.
- Super Secret Tech - Steal 2 random AP for each friendly Countdown Tiles.
- Blade's "Supernatural Sense" destroys 4 AP in enemy's strongest colour.
- Captain Marvel - create 2 AP in strongest colour whenever energy makes match in strongest colour.
- Main article: Team-Up AP